Max's First Meal
Max turned 5 months old last week, on January 3rd. It's so hard to believe it's going by this quickly. I wish I could slow things down a little, and enjoy him being a baby a bit more. He's just getting sweeter and happier by the day, and he's really starting to observe the big world around him.
He also reached a new milestone this week: solid food! We had a small adevture with rice cereal before Christmas, but after 3 days of no pooping we decided rice wasn't a great idea. So a few nights ago, with the pediatrician's encouragement, we gave Max carrots for the first time...
It's amazing to watch babies experience things for the first time. This was literally the first time Max has ever had any solid food in his mouth, so he didn't know what to make of it at first: he grimaced, reached into his mouth with his litttle hand, pulled the carrots out and looked at them! Max had some carrots, Daddy's shirt had some carrots, the floor had some carrots, the chair had some carrots: carrots for everyone! We of course thought it all was really funny, and laughed out loud. Max always laughs along with us, so then he decided carrots were also funny, and we've had smooth sailing since then.
He quickly got the hang of the spoon (a beautiful, tiny, monogrammed silver spoon, courtesy of Aunt Mary Kay) and took it out of Daddy's hand to feed himself. He got a little too vigorous with his first tries, and kinda gagged himself, so we've been feeding him with our fingers ever since. He seems to love carrots, and opens his mouth just like a little baby bird when he wants more.
We've also gotten smarter about containing the mess: both Max and Daddy now strip down to their skivvies for carrot-eating, although we do occasionally let Daddy wear an apron!
Today is also a big day for me: I announced my departure from Shopzilla, and will be starting at Live Nation at the end of the month. I'm excited about this new opportunity, but I'm a little worried that it's going to suck up more of my free time than Shopzilla. I'm jealously guarding my free time these days because I want to spend every minute with my little guy!
Damon is also back to work today, on Real World 218 (or something). So this is officially the end of our lovely 5 month family sabbatical. I can't complain too much, since I don't know anyone who got to take such a long maternity leave, with their husband no less. I'm going to miss it nonetheless.
He also reached a new milestone this week: solid food! We had a small adevture with rice cereal before Christmas, but after 3 days of no pooping we decided rice wasn't a great idea. So a few nights ago, with the pediatrician's encouragement, we gave Max carrots for the first time...
It's amazing to watch babies experience things for the first time. This was literally the first time Max has ever had any solid food in his mouth, so he didn't know what to make of it at first: he grimaced, reached into his mouth with his litttle hand, pulled the carrots out and looked at them! Max had some carrots, Daddy's shirt had some carrots, the floor had some carrots, the chair had some carrots: carrots for everyone! We of course thought it all was really funny, and laughed out loud. Max always laughs along with us, so then he decided carrots were also funny, and we've had smooth sailing since then.
He quickly got the hang of the spoon (a beautiful, tiny, monogrammed silver spoon, courtesy of Aunt Mary Kay) and took it out of Daddy's hand to feed himself. He got a little too vigorous with his first tries, and kinda gagged himself, so we've been feeding him with our fingers ever since. He seems to love carrots, and opens his mouth just like a little baby bird when he wants more.
We've also gotten smarter about containing the mess: both Max and Daddy now strip down to their skivvies for carrot-eating, although we do occasionally let Daddy wear an apron!
Today is also a big day for me: I announced my departure from Shopzilla, and will be starting at Live Nation at the end of the month. I'm excited about this new opportunity, but I'm a little worried that it's going to suck up more of my free time than Shopzilla. I'm jealously guarding my free time these days because I want to spend every minute with my little guy!
Damon is also back to work today, on Real World 218 (or something). So this is officially the end of our lovely 5 month family sabbatical. I can't complain too much, since I don't know anyone who got to take such a long maternity leave, with their husband no less. I'm going to miss it nonetheless.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home